Monday, September 15, 2008

What separates People with passion from people without it?

The main difference between people with passion is Focus. People with passion are focused on their area of passion and all kinds of other activities, thoughts, and pursuits are related to their passion. It is a driving force for their work and creativity. It is as if they hold a vision of the best playing out or fulfillment of their passion and are constantly, in large and small ways, working towards that fulfillment. It is an organizing force for activity and thought and identity. A person can derive a sense of identity from their passions. Their strong drives and desires define them. It can give them a sense of direction and purpose. Conversely, a person who holds their purpose with certainty, also follows their passion. A sense of identity comes from the passions you hold strongly. Just as your opinions define who you are in part, so do your passions. What you love, what you desire, what you strive for, are all defining elements of your self.

A person who leaps from one passion to another seems to lack depth. Their passions, although held strongly with an emotional vibrance, are not held enduringly, and so seem to be superficial. Passions grow from pondering and comparing. One compares the object of passion with its opposite in order to define it and to know it.

How are passion and purpose related?Passion is the fuel that drives you towards your Purpose. If you have passion for your vision or your purpose, you have the emotional energy to overcome obstacles, to persevere, you have the courage of your convictions, you have the ‘fire in the belly’, to use a cliché.

Write down your desires, and instead of repressing them as impossible dreams, begin expressing them constructively through deciding which ones are priorities for now, which ones are priorities for later, and which ones are strongly held and which ones have a weaker sense of attraction for you. Just make a list of things you love. You can have a lot of fun with this, thinking of things you love. There are so many neat, fantastic, simply wonderful things in the world. I love the first snowfall, I love the colors of leaves in the fall, I love my dog when she jumps up on my knees to get me to play. I love a hot cup of tea, popovers and scones fresh from the oven. I love laying in bed on a rainy morning with tea, my beanbag and a good book. I love the light at twilight. The wind coming from the lake, the sound of waves lapping the shore, the feeling of sand on your toes, or warm sand under the towel you are laying on. I love a good icy cold gin and tonic, the first margarita of the summer, a cold glass of wine in front of the fireplace. I love Fridays. I love snuggling into crisp, 400 thread count sheets with a hot beanbag on a cold winter’s evening. I love the sound of snow crunching under your boots in the dark night when you are taking the dog for a walk. I love the feeling of ice crystals on your face when you are walking on glacier in a snowstorm. Snowstorms in general are very passionate weather. I love walking in a blizzard in Alberta, braving the elements and feeling the invigoration of being fully alive that comes with the safety of reaching the warmth of a cozy home. What do you love?

1 comment:

dogstalkpoetry said...

Hi Cheryl, I came across your blog today and I resonate with every word you've wrote. I was laid off in Feb this year and since then, taking time out to figure out my new chapter in life, trying to design my ideal lifestyle. Your blog is very inspiring! Thank you.